Monday, May 19, 2008

The good, the bad and the beautiful

"Men who are dandies and women who are darlings rule the world, atleast they should do so." Oscar Wilde, The Model Millionaire
I read this short story some 8 years back but this particular idea stayed with me. Not as a concept to be pondered upon but rather as a very straightforward bold statement about how the world order should be. Well we read things and they are pushed into certain rarely accessed corners of our memory. I had a eureka moment today though. The truth of this statement chose to reveal itself before me today as I was unobtrusively walking down the road leading from the departmental academic area to hostel-10. Life is a series of nothings I read somewhere. But every now and then you let yourself believe that you are a part of something important. You feel passion and zeal and a motivation to excel. That is when you are deeply engrossed in your thoughts driven by purpose. I was in a similar state of mind, thinking hard about my project problem. The results I was getting were not as expected. I was thinking. I looked up. One amazing thing about this place is that it never fails to bring a smile to your face and a moment of calm to your wavering mindwhenever you give it a chance. I saw the resplendent pinks and oranges and purples against the vast amber expanse of the sky and the dark green of leaves piece-by-piece as if someone had patiently painted them with careful brush strokes. I said to myself. - I love this place. I love it for its sheer beauty. Even if I had no memories associated with it I would have loved it still. And I understood why beauty can be so moving. While we believe that our decisions are based on how we define good and bad, it may be the beautiful that inspires us.

No comments: